Saturday 19 September 2009

In Its Image and Likeness?




(Obviously, this cannot be perceived as a "time slip" story or a musing on it, but I feel it does pertain to the wider context that is the main subject of this humble blog.)


Does nature with its terrestrial phenomena mirror a wider, cosmic (perhaps not necessarily physical) reality?


Or is it perhaps even the materialisation – a condensation, if you will – of the forces underlying the unceasing (re)creation of the world and their dynamics?

I have always, even as a child, detested the »animistic« view of the cosmos (our world included). I found nature »as is« (as IF we ever observed it »as is«... ;) interesting enough without men trying to read into »her«.

But even I – even then – had to wonder sometimes. I have noticed often enough that sometimes, rarely, there seem to be »signs in the skies« that for some reason cannot simply be dismissed as our »reading into« them. (It would take a lot of time and effort to describe some of them, so let me just mention the extraordinary aspect of the sky on January 25, 1938, and on August 23rd, 1939: the day of the signing of the Molotov-von Ribbentrop treaty.)


And now, I have come upon a website that claims the river Nile actually conforms to the shape of – the Milky Way.






To be totally frank, I am not sure I subscribe to this theory.
But I got to give them - specifically, the author of the theory, Goro Adachi - credit for observation and »lateral« thinking.
Brainstorms seldom pass without yielding at least a single drop of valid and useful information.

And, after all, according to Sufi mystics, the entire world, with all its creatures, is nothing but a mirror created by God and observed by God's unblinking eye, to see the image of »Himself«.





»God created the world because He wanted to see His image in the mirror.«





No comments: